My Lists

Saturday, April 30, 2016

When the past visits the present

Day 7

Well, I made it through Day 6.  I wouldn't say I had wine "cravings" per se, it was more like I had a knee-jerk reaction after a stressful day and thought "should have a bottle of wine tonight" followed by "darn it, that's not option...what then?"

I like my past to stay where he belongs....in the past.  However, past intrudes on the present periodically and unfortunately will probably continue to long into the future.  This equates to stress. Oh well, it is what it is.  Yesterday I was dealing with the past and it was a bit stressful, threatening some of my financial security.  I pulled into my garage at the end of the day and that thought of needing wine was habitual as a response to stress.

I read a quote on facebook today that said "My Give a F%$# may be broken but my Go F%$# yourself works just fine".  Sort of summed me up for yesterday! Please pardon the vulgarity.

I was a bit aggravated and edgy.  Then I had a kid sport to attend so that distracted me.  I decided this whole (JB I love the word hoovering) eating thing had a purpose even though I am generally trying to watch my diet and work out more. (No scale movement as yet but I guess that may not come for awhile.)

So at the game I pre-ordered pizza to arrive when we were home and scarfed down 6 squares of chocolate as well with afternoon tea.  That worked pretty well but, note to self, to not turn completely to food every time to avoid cravings.  I do find that working out with a good audio book helps to distract too and that's probably a lot more healthy for me!

I found that I woke up today with an icky tasting mouth as if I had drunk last night but without all the other effects.  (maybe just over abundance of garlic from pizza..) I slept fairly well although I still woke up a few times during the night - still have to deal with dog's small bladder issues....sigh..

On to Day 7 this evening, yesterday is behind me, and almost a full week under my belt!

HD

11 comments:

  1. Yey for the full week! Keep going! I hear that most don't lose weight for a while. I'm adding you to my reading list and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for your full week! One day at a time adds up. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--just stumbled over your blog. I easily could have written it. Very similar situation/story. I am on day 7... planning to attempt to moderate (again) in two more weeks. Doing MM online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's MM? Ha, maybe I don't want to know...I'm not sure if/when I will try moderation again....at least I set a goal of 20lbs first!

      Delete
    2. Saw Ripleybelle's definition below. Gotcha! Keep me posted. I thought I could moderate but then before I knew it was back to at least a bottle and a half a few nights a week, 2-3 glasses or 3-4 glasses the rest of the nights. Just not healthy for me. No "stop" meter in me.

      Delete
  4. I think it stands for Moderation Management. An organization that support moderation/harm reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo you go girlfriend! That's funny I woke up with same taste in my mouth post garlicky pizza dinner. I'm still not sleeping right but surprisingly functioning better on less sleep sober than when I was going to bed boozed-up and having more. I am very very bloated though and having lots of wind pain (sorry for the gorey details)! Probably all the food I'm hoovering ;)I must have thought about "wine time" at least 10 times a day yesterday - hopefully it won't pop in to my head as much going forward? HD have you tried alco free wine/beer? I ended up having a glass of non-alco red wine with pizza and pasta and it really hit the spot - was quite sweet, just like red grape juice but in a nice wine glass was good and quietened the craving. I have a stack of AF beer in the fridge too but haven't tended to go for them so much - more a summer thing perhaps? I like you think straight to wine when things get stressful. I think I read on Mummy was a secret drinker the quote "there is no situation that can be made better through drinking" or something like that. I know wholeheartedly that it only makes matters worse but it's the compulsion to just want it to go away or as I describe it "hide behind the wine" that makes knocking back a couple of bottles so appealing. I think I just managed to download the Louis Theroux episode drinking to oblivion so looking forward to watching that. Day 6 here for me. Just got a text from a friend about an upcoming footy game that we are going to together and her "looking forward to having a few quiet ones with me". Hmmm. Not sure how I'll handle that one yet but its still 12 days away so figure that out then. I've just been sold some water with the vibration of love imbued so perhaps this is a new way to keep the wine cravings at bay? Must see if I can make my own as it was expensive! My friends thought I was totally gullible for buying it! Check out http://findmyfrequency.com/
    Hugs JB xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of the Louis Theroux documentary. I'm curious. Haven't watched it yet myself. I think not spending money on wine allows us to indulge in some good waters! I am a fan of Fiji and Pellegrino myself. Don't worry about what your friends say! I do like some AF beers, but more when outside. Will use those for BBQs this summer for sure. Not big on the AF wines and find them expensive so I think I'll stick to cranberry juice and club soda when I really have to have a drink. Happy May Day! HD

      Delete
  7. I'm the same stress equals me wanting to drink. My brain has a strong association between the two. Hopefully one day stress will equal something else... Don't know what though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I would love it if I would get stressed and feel the need to workout. Ha! Not going to happen but maybe I can find another replacement!! Happy May Day to you as well! HD

      Delete