My Lists

Friday, May 20, 2016

Is it the 40s?

Day 27

There seems to be a commonality among many of us.....often women in their 40s and 50s coming to the conclusion that wine is not for them any more.

I'm sure much has been written on this but it's on my mind today.  This is going to sound like the most childish post in this blogging universe but I think I'm on to something in regard to my wine drinking.

I faced a major life change at age 40 and I stagnated for the last few years, for sure, but I think it's more than that....something that was coming on before that, back when I became a parent in my thirties.

I've been trying to figure out why my drinking went "inside", behind closed doors.  Oh, I always drank more than healthy but not like since I hit 40.  I've evaluated a number of excuses: divorce, new relationship, some financial anxiety etc.  I'm usually okay with change, though, almost exhilarated by it.

In other words, I don't think that my shift in drinking really had to do with the above.  The escalation of drinking at home to "tune" out life happened to coincide with a major shift in my life, but, again, I don't think that was the reason.

I think that, for me, and this is going to sound really petty, it was realizing that I was finally "grown up".  I was at the point where I could now remember my parents turning 40 and what they were like at my age.  I always wanted to have a bigger house than I grew up in (materialistic, I know), wanted to travel more than they did, have a bigger social network than they did, have more money to do more things.  (And I was not under privileged growing up....I wasn't handed things on a silver spoon but I didn't want for much.)

The pressure of realizing I was grown up (and needing to "get real" with that) triggered something in me.  I became, I think, subconsciously depressed.  Suddenly, I had to come to terms with the fact that "I was where I was" in life.

Suddenly, driving through my old home neighborhood, I could no longer say "I might own that beautiful big house someday."  I know I can't, and am unlikely to be able to, afford that home.  I'm in the house I'm in for the long term unless I sell and end up in a similar type of home or in a city with a much lower cost of living.  I have the social network I have.  I've traveled a lot, had a good career in the corporate world and now working mostly for myself.

Basically, I think I got BORED!!  Drinking away the evenings was a way of tuning out that I felt I had done what I needed to but also wasn't going to go much further.  On the one hand I felt I had had a fulfilling life through work, marriage, motherhood, travel.....I had done what I wanted to do for the most part but I also was at a "status" in life that probably wasn't going to change much from that point forward.

I don't know why I thought this, I'm only in my 40s!  I was depressed at the thought that I was on the down side to my working career and money making years, headed toward retirement.  I had to finish raising my son but I couldn't see beyond that.  I've always had goals and now I had none.  Because I was just telling myself I'd sit tight until my son graduates high school and then figure life out, I chose wine at night as a way of not feeling bad, not thinking too much about where I'm not in life nor where I need to go.

I'm pleased to say that fog is lifting after 27 days.  I'm still not ready to do too much advance planning.  I'm just enjoying being overall happy again, sleeping well and not hating myself from 2-5am every day.  I'm enjoying watching my body change as I work out more (not a lot but enough) and I'm enjoying who I am becoming....not so edgy, a better wife and mother, etc.

Admitting in this blog how childish I feel about why I drank is important for me.  This "getting to your status in life and knowing that probably won't change much from here on out" may resonate with some and not with others.  Plenty of entrepreneurs do something with their life in their late 40s and 50s. It's a mindset of mine that is holding me back.

I know that changes won't occur if I keep drowning my petulant thoughts in wine.  I'm looking forward to the clarity that will be coming, the changes I will make that right now I cannot even envision.....but I know, now, those changes will come.  I will no longer remain stagnate.

HD




14 comments:

  1. Yes I can understand this. I'm almost 40. Over the last few years I feel my life is on hold. My drinking ramped up. I felt I had nothing to look forward to and that instead of living life I was maintaining it. I think these feelings come from raising young kids and losing my myself in the process.

    And yes as we get older the pot filled with 'who we might turn out to be' gets smaller and smaller until the only thing left to be is who we are. Which is not a bad thing, I think I'm bored too. But without wine I notice I appreciate the small things more. I'm not going travelling abroad anytime soon, but I love going to natural areas close to home. Drinking makes us bored as we don't have the energy for doing other things, things that are more interesting than drinking. Like getting to read about the lives of women around the world all striving for the same thing I am...sobriety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love the extra energy. It's not huge but enough to keep from staying housebound and feeling sorry for myself.

      Delete
  2. I think, in hindsight, that I drank a lot when I was bored. My husband gets up at 4 am so he is in bed early and I'm left to my own devices at night! I am trying to work on my boredom. I have since been trying to keep really busy so I won't feel bored...but I am trying to "feel" the boredom and get thru it! Oh, how I hate it though!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby had those odd hours for awhile and it was tough. I found myself chatting on the phone with wine. Bad idea. I try to catch up with friends at other times now so that I don't do that.

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking a lot about drinking and age too. I didn't start drinking heavily until age 45. And I'm a little ashamed that I didn't get it over with much sooner. But there is a reason for it and I know I had to stumble through it to get to today. Boredom was a big part of it for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we all get to the other side for the better then it was a great learning experience and time to reflect, time to take stock of our lives!

      Delete
  4. My drinking escalated in my 40's as well. But if I'm honest with myself, I have had a problem with drinking all my adult life. Growing older and facing your mortality is scary. I have problems with it too. Congrats on day 27. That is awesome! A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your post. We are a big band of 40s and 50s aren't we! I drank because I thought that's what grown ups did! Only recently realised most of them do not get smashed every time they do it. I am particularly bored in this wet Saturday afternoon and am really wanting ( but not wanting!) a big glass of Malbec! So this is timely and I will resist (and do something grown up instead!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like time for a good cup of tea or hot chocolate. I love wet weather....we don't get it that often where I live. Cozying up with a good book would be my plan!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what an awesome post. I really enjoy reading your blog. You seem to be finding some real peace with yourself, your past, present and future. I relate so much to you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arghhh I see so many similarities. I'm in my late 30s and often feel like I'm alone in a sea of partying partying people, clinging on to "youth" which often involves hanging out with a younger crowd, god knows what they think of us. Anyway now I'm sober I look around and my lot... which was me until recently... just don't recover so quickly, it takes more for them to get the high, and well, they (me for ages!) all just look a bit silly. growing up was never my plan but I think I'm ready for it. turns out its not boring at all. Thank you for keeping me going xxx

    ReplyDelete