My Lists

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Exit Alcohol, Enter Hypochondria

No, I don't really think I am a hypochondriac but I am certainly more worried about my health than before.  I think this comes from a deep down, perpetual worry that I really screwed up my body and chances for a long, healthy life by being so careless with wine consumption over the past years.

I never worried about my health while I was drinking.  (I've read others blogs who were just the opposite.)  I think I just tuned it all out.  I didn't want to think, or acknowledge, that anything I felt amiss, could possibly be from my own actions....so I just didn't think about it.

Truth be told, one of the main reasons I stopped drinking was that my finger joints started hurting.  Just the tips, DIP joints they are called, out of the blue and for no apparent reason.  Occasionally one or the other will ache very bad in the middle of the night, although that has subsided, I think, since I quit all alcohol.

But the finger joints are very stiff.  They don't really bother me when I type and I have full range of motion.  Just a stiffness that I have to sort of work out from time to time.  Rest of hand doesn't really hurt, wrist doesn't hurt, it's just an odd pain.

This was probably the catalyst to stopping alcohol but I was ready at that time.  I had had a headache for most of the fall and winter although that had gone away when I stopped.  But that started back up in June.  I still think it could be allergies, could be sinus.

Also have a little lump in my breast I'm concerned about.  I have had regular mammograms, last one in January, all normal.  Had one abnormal one about 6 years ago, biopsied the lump (different one) and it was a benign cyst.  I am very cystic they say.  So I'm not all that concerned and have a gyn appointment this week so will get doc's opinion.

I posted earlier about getting an MRI for the headaches.  So the MRI was all clear, no tumors or sinus polyps, but now doc wants to do an MRA.  Never had heard of it but I guess an MRI might not pick up an aneurysm whereas an MRA will.  Might as well be safer than sorrier I guess.

Oh, and the hot flashes that started exactly when I had the MRI but there is supposedly no relation.  I still am holding out in disagreement.  So maybe the MRA will cancel out the MRI and I won't get them anymore....or else I will have to admit that the fact that I have hot flashes, am 2 weeks late on my monthly, and am not pregnant according to any test might, just might, mean I have to admit I am peri-menopausal.

I don't know if others have gone through this pre-occupation with health since quitting drinking but I think I just need to sit through it.  I think I'm about through the list of horribles that could keep me from seeing my son grow into manhood!  Hopefully!

Well, that is off my chest.  Will try not to think of my finger (probably just overuse from all my computer work), my headaches (sinus or allergies), my hot flashes (duh, getting older) nor my boob bump (will get it checked.)

Hey, at least drinking is the last of my thoughts!  I was at two dinner parties this week and it was no big deal to have my AF drinks.  For some reason I think of white wine and then think of a headache...I suppose it's because I HAVE a headache but I think the association is working and it's killing any wistful longing.  I'll take it!  Maybe my hypochondria is my way of hanging in there through Day 100 (7 days until I get there!) so that I get so far along I just want to keep going!!


19 comments:

  1. Am I crazy or is this on blogger now not Wordpress. My name will come up differently here as I can't seem to log in with Wordpress on blogger accounts.
    I am crying reading this because it is like reading my own thoughts. I am such a hypochondriac right now. All weekend I've been obsessing about a mole that I've convinced myself is the very worst type of melanoma and I'll be dead in six weeks. I don't care about me so much, although I'd rather not die! But my poor kids who are still so young. My husband switched off from me yesterday because he thinks I am being ridiculous. I'll go get it checked this week but I'm sure something new will start after that.
    I am peri menopausal although my blood test didn't show that. No period in December then two in February, none in May, normal June. Mood swings. No hot flushes yet. Can't see a damn good thing about menopause, no good symptoms whatsoever!
    Hypochondria sucks. I am trying to ignore my over thinking brain but it shouts loudly. I wish I could switch it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'm cracking up.....did you post on hypochondria after reading mine or did we post the same topic today? My blog has always been on blogger, boring as it is - not nearly as pretty as yours!

      Delete
  2. I definitely suffer bouts of hyperchondria. Worse while drinking though. I was convinced I had a brain tumor, I had terrible headaches, pins and needles in my hands and feet, dizziness, blurred vision. Google only makes it worse. I had a MRI too...no tumor. Mine I believe was food sensitivities. Anyway I think as we get older things start to hurt, then you remember the story you read on Facebook about someone who had the same thing, turns out they were terminal. The internet feeds my hyperchondria in times when I'm worried. Drinking made me worry more as I felt worse, but I always had something to blame. When you stop drinking and the pains are still there, and not caused by alcohol then you wonder what it might be from and perhaps this is what had happened to you? Hopefully after your test it will all go away and you will feel back to your normal self. PDTG X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear HD,
    I know some of my aches and pains are just normal for me and my body, but I tend to make them worse than they are!
    Happy day 93!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I should have said 7 days after today, lol. Day 92 today!

      Delete
  4. Hi HD. You are not the only one! :) Sometimes I am convinced that all my previous poor choices in life, that impacted my health, are going to all come crashing down on me and I will simply die in my sleep. Then I realize that a) that is unlikely and b) if that's how it happened it really wouldn't be so bad at all, LOL! All joking aside, I think it is probably something, like you said, that just needs to be "sat through". Congratulations on being so close to 100 days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I run through that A and B scenario as well!

      Delete
  5. I was a total hypochondriac when drinking. I blamed every ache and pain I got on drinking. I thought I was drinking myself to death. I thought that my hypochondria went away when I stopped drinking. But today, was a very stressful day in which my 100 yr. old grandmother, whom I am POA for, had to be administered morphine by hospice care. She was fine yday. So...not considering that stress, I convinced myself that I was having a heart attack because I didn't feel well. I went so far as to google signs of heart attacks in women. When I told my husband I was having one, he reminded me that I had had a very stressful day and was probably internalizing it. He was right. I feel fine now. So, I guess I'm not out of the hypochondria woods!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I hope you felt better today. I'm so sorry about your grandmother. How wonderful you have had her so long. Mine is 94 and I'll probably stress out when I go through the same thing someday. :-(

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you're worried,HD! I didn't think about my health much at all when I was drinking, but I SHOULD HAVE DONE! If I hadn't stopped I may never have spotted, or done anything about, the bloody breast cancer, so it really did save my life! I'm sure the worrying will calm down, but a little bit of fretting is a GOOD THING as it'll keep you safe. By the way, since you had a clear mammogram six months ago, even if that boob lump was dodgy (which is v unlikely) it'll be easily fixed.
    Huge hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I really think too....should be fine. So hard to shut up that paranoid part of the brain though some days! I agree if you don't worry at all, that too can be bad.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear you are worried about your health. I worry too sometimes. I have a lot of aches and pains these days and I wonder why? I know I'm not as young as I used to be but I need this body for hopefully another 40 odd years, so I want to feel the best I can now dammit! Just make sure all your tests are up to date and hopefully the MRA will be clear and give you some peace of mind. Thinking of you and sending you a hug. A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found one site that pretty much summed it all up....joint pain, headaches, hot flushing, hair thinning, foggy brain...yep perimenopause......lol, that will be a good outcome I guess if that's all it is.

      Delete
  8. Me too.
    Honestly, anxiety is a bitch and health is an easy one to get stuck on.
    It sounds like you are willing to go to get checked out. Keep doing that.

    Sober we know what is a real pain and what isn't.

    I am also peri menopausal and it does LOTS of these things. Lumpy breasts, sweats, joint pain. Me too.

    But I go get regular check up a and have my own mamogram and an ultrasound this week.

    Hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you too, hope all goes well for your tests!

      Delete
  9. Anxiety is a mean old beast, but perhaps there is some consolation in the knowledge that every single sober day is doing you good. There is no health issue that alcohol improves and plenty it exacerbates. If my maths is correct, you are five days off your milestone now, perhaps google some studies around health benefits of 100 days alcohol free.. Fight anxiety with knowledge! xx

    ReplyDelete