My Lists

Friday, August 12, 2016

The craving switch

Day 111

My husband has the cutest expressions after drinking. Tonight he came home and had downed 4 large glasses of red within about an hour and fifteen minutes.  It was interesting to watch how his facial expressions changed with each glass.....brows became more furrowed, jaw a little slacker.  Speaking seemed to become slower as if he was trying harder to enunciate.  He was more smiley and looser.

He wasn't what I would call drunk in any meaningful way.  He was coherent, tracking what I was saying, and holding up his end of the conversation.  I had fed the kids early so he was going to get himself dinner.  After these 4 glasses he nonchalantly stopped drinking, got up and went to the kitchen to prepare chili for himself, cutting vegetables without cutting himself, not spilling on the floor, not tripping on his feet.  But he was visibly relaxed.

I was envious enough to jot this down tonight.

He had the majority of these glasses sitting with me (and my alcohol free wine) in the living room, chatting about our day and what went on for each of us.  He was giving me time and sharing his life with me.  He was petting the animals and enjoying his evening.

Before I quit drinking I would have woken up in the morning thinking "I won't drink today."  Then, by cocktail hour I would have said "oh I will just have one".  Then after one glass, "oh, I will just have one more."  Then, screw it, this feels good, might as well keep pouring.  If there was only one bottle I would get dinner made.  If I opened a second...... hubby usually made dinner.  He has never complained when that happened.

I sat here tonight wondering "why am I able to not give in to the wine witch now, when, time after time, I was not able to?"  For me I think it boils down to this:

1) Early on it was all grit and determination.
2) Then, it was still grit and determination but also I had days under my belt.  I didn't want to start over.  I told myself I could just moderate someday when I was ready.
3) Then, when I wasn't craving wine as much anymore, I focused on how I felt when I had been drinking.  I knew I didn't ever feel good about myself the next day.  Still some determination to just not try it and a lot of time behind me so that relapse wasn't worth it.
4) Then, I started thinking about whether I really even wanted it anymore and realizing I really didn't. Perhaps I didn't even want to moderate, didn't want to risk going back to where I had been.
5) Now I am in the phase of wondering why I ever wanted it. But... I KNOW why I wanted it. I just wanted to tune out.

Tonight's envy toward my husband was simply wanting to tune out and relax as easily as he was.  He can use alcohol this way.  I don't think I can anymore.  I no longer associate my evening "cravings" with a craving for wine.  It's just a craving to tune out, to chill, to relax.  But I know now that alcohol can't be that mechanism and I'm learning to turn to other things.

Reading blogs is helpful.  I have gotten to know so much about people based upon their blogs that I find myself checking in just to hear what's up.  Not so much about the alcohol role in their life but about their stresses and how they resolve them, reading about entertaining pet and children stories, and living vicariously through their travels.

I also read books, organize things, surf the news online, etc.  There is always something I can be doing to distract the "numb out craving" as I am coming to call it instead of a wine craving.

I feel as if I "switch" has been flipped.  I think I mentioned this awhile ago but I've switched out other things in my life.

I switched from Pepsi to Diet Pepsi all at once and never looked back.  I switched from using sugar to sweetener and from one sweetener to the next in search of the "least bad for you" option, without ever looking back.  I've switched from white bread to grain bread.  (Don't jump on me for these poor food choices...my point is that I switched!)  I knew I had the complete freedom to go back to Pepsi, sugar and white bread but I don't feel deprived.

I feel the same, sort of, about wine.  I have just switched.  I drink my "unleaded" wine and others drink "leaded."  I can go back if I want to, but I don't want to.

Now I just need to swap out:
1) Lethargy for exercise
2) Alcohol free wine for a less caloric and less laxative-like option such as...hmm...water??
3) Chocolate for carrots

Somehow I fear the first 111 days might have been easier...........

13 comments:

  1. It's interesting watching normie a drink. We had friends over last night and they drank quite a bit. But then they won't drink during the week. I switched from Coke cola to Diet Coke and am now on caffeine free Diet Coke. My aim is to have only water but I'm struggling to get there! Plus I need to cut back on chocolate. But I'm not having wine, that's the main thing! You are doing great! A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we have common goals!! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. In my case, I've seen a kind of natural progression that started with quitting alcohol. Which of course was the first and most important step. You are also in that process. I am only now-after 71/2 months getting back into exercise. You will switch out the AF wine for something else. I will say that switching out chocolate for carrots might just be a bit too optimistic! I think all of us who have stopped and are committed to it have an almost scientific fascination with watching other people drink and their behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 4 L a day Diet Pepsi habit started making me dizzy so I switched to iced tea and stevia, my beloved gargantuan bowl of ice cream was making me fat and more sugar crazed so now I'm back on the low carb diet, my spiritual life needed fattening up so now I'm back to church...I guess life for me will be a steady progression toward things that are better for me. sigh...Can't I be allowed one vice?
    I am glad you've reached the point that you see a value in sobriety that you're not willing to risk, I think that's the secret, waiting until you've made your life worth not drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great line. I'm making that my new all encompassing goal...to focus on fixing things in my life so that I make my life worth not drinking! Thanks for thoughts and glad to know I am not alone in this world of shifting habits! One habit done, but more, healthier ones to form!

      Delete
  4. Dear HD, I am sorry for the delay, but I would like to congratulate you on Day 100 (Day 114 now). So happy for you to have made it to your goal. What an accomplishment. You have done such a wonderful job. Thank you for continuing to share your journey. Much love :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the phrase 'unleaded wine' compared to 'leaded wine'!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I get that numb out craving too. I tried non alcoholic wine the other night and it's so triggery for me. You seem to be doing so well and making so much progress! PDTG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi HD!
    Great job!
    I need to switch too many strong coffees for water or caffeine free in the afternoon.
    It's a super hard habit for me to break.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small changes. Try some other drinks. Sign up for a yoga class. Pay up front. It might get your there.
    Or karate, or swimming or cross fit. Whatever. Find something you like and that is fun.

    I wonder about your husband. Did he enjoy the evening? Was cooking easier buzzed? or did he time just pass by un Observed?

    111 is awesome. Keep going
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately hubby loves cooking. He enjoys his wine/beer but rarely goes too far. I think he misses me drinking with him but he is fine with it.

      Delete