My Lists

Monday, August 29, 2016

The Irony...

The good news is that I resumed my morning 3 mi walks with a friend.  School is back in session and since we have to get up early anyway, we can both get motivated to go.  We spent a lot of time catching up on the summer.

The irony of our walk this morning was this.....my friend, who really doesn't drink a lot, said she got hammered yesterday on their boat.  She was very honest about it but I think felt bad about it.  She doesn't struggle with alcohol per se, but does have serious yo-yo weight issues.  Her weight has been a struggle ever since I known her.

She is a beautiful gal whether she is 100lb in either direction but she does struggle with that difference.  So to her the feeling bad about the alcohol was more calorie related.   She knows that I gave up drinking so we have talked about alcohol in the past.

I was just sharing my trying the wine again from Friday when we came around a corner.  A jogger had passed us and we looked ahead and saw her sort of walking back toward us.  Turns out she was walking back toward a woman she had passed on the sidewalk who was facing away from us and grasping herself, sort of tucked in a sitting ball.

As we got closer we could see this beautiful young woman, dressed in a laced up revealing black top that bared her midriff and then black stretchy pants from below her belly button down to her ankles.  She had on no shoes and had a little bloody lip.  Her back side from hair to feet was as if she had been rolled in hay...I realize the inadvertent wording of this but literally she had straw up and down her backside....there are no farms near us...

The jogger was talking to her as we came up.  This girl was completely fucked up, for lack of a better word.  From what we grasped she was visiting from the east coast, had gone to a nightclub and had somehow gotten over to our part of town.....about 10 miles or more from where she had started.  She said some guy had dropped her off.  She had no money, no phone, no ID.  Asked us to call Uber to get her a ride back to where she had a room.

Well, we couldn't just throw her in a cab when she had no money and we didn't have any as we were walking.  Not to mention the liability of doing so if anything happened to her.   We didn't even know if where she said she needed to go was the right place.  We were also about 2 miles from our own homes.  So we got her to walk with us toward a McDonalds.  I walked with her incoherent self, keeping her stumbling on the inside of the sidewalk so she didn't fall out into traffic.  My friend and the jogger stayed back a bit and called the police.

She hadn't wanted us to call the police.  She said she was pyscho and had already been to the hospital twice in the last week for getting wasted.  We got her in to McDonalds where the manager was kind enough to buy her some food.  As she was eating and sitting with the jogger, my friend and I went outside to talk to the police before they came in.  Only our town would send 3 police trucks......

Anyway, the police (cute young men!) came in and took over.   We had to leave and get going so I don't know what happened but they were being very nice to her.  I'm sure they've seen this before.

I don't know why I felt compelled to blog about this other than it did not escape me that both my friend and I were talking about alcohol before we saw this woman who appeared to have just been dropped in front of us from a spaceship!

I think on our last walk, in June, my friend had been talking about a friend's daughter who had gotten drugged at a club.  It's so scary what can happen to someone.

If this girl truly didn't live in town, then she now had no ID or anything with which to fly home!  I remember a time I was at a club and left my purse.  Wouldn't you know the whole thing was turned into security and I got everything back....money, phone, ID etc.  But I had to go down the next day with my son and explain that I accidentally left it when mommy was out to dinner with friends the night before.  Scary.

So glad I'm not putting myself in a place to be like that.  I am so done with not acting 46.  I finally feel grown up and at peace with myself, for the first time in a long time.  I know that giving up alcohol as the norm is what has allowed this.

I might still have a glass of wine when people come into town, but I know it's downside and will avoid that at all costs!  No more will I sit at night and numb myself to not avoid some emotion!!

HD

6 comments:

  1. That's scary! Anything could have happened to that poor girl, all because of alcohol. So sad. I hope she sorts herself out. How funny that happened just after you and your friend had been talking about alcohol! A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary.
    My friend thought she was drugged when out at a bar, and some guys wanted to be with her. Luckily she was with a friend and was ok.
    I am glad you are walking!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Baby steps. First I'm going to walk for a few days and then try to add some strengthening exercises when I get home.

      Delete
  3. I am not sure how you feel but to me that was a SIGN. The interpretation is yours to make but I am sure it was the universe whispering something. Also I am so glad you and your friend were there to help handle it sensitively, some people would have ignored her or just done a quick 'are you ok?' And carried on with their day, you guys did the kind thing. I remember reading that awful story about that girl who was raped on college whilst drunk and how she has gone public with shaming the guy who did it (good for her) but it scares me how many times I was vulnerable and that my daughter could somehow end up like that one day. Well done you on being the person she needed at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the timing of it all was a little too coincidental!

      Delete