My Lists

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Another trip around the sun

Last night kicked off more dry time.  It felt really good to have a Halloween that didn't involve alcohol.  Last year I remember the neighbor and me imbibing before the crowds came.  We get a ton of kids at the door.  Instead, my son and I handed out candy and turned the lights out at 9pm.  I had made dinner and he ate first, then handled the door while hubby and I ate.  It felt good to sleep better.

I drank sparkling mineral water and didn't have a single wine craving.  They will come though, I know.

I've been really stressed, about too many things that are really beyond my control.  Something has clicked inside of me.  I'm finally ready to let someone else drive for awhile......I'm going to make a list for myself of all the things I don't need to control and then a list of productive things I can control, where I should put my energy and my mind!

I think I needed to have a birthday in order to make this fresh start.

I love this song from Jimmy Buffet and Martina McBride:  (from Trip Around The Sun) VIDEO

I'm just hangin' on while this old world keeps spinning
And it's good to know it's out of my control
If there's one thing that I've learned from all this livin'
Is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go

Drinking has been my means of "letting go".  But it doesn't change a thing.  I may forget about things for awhile but it doesn't change anything and only makes me feel bad about myself when I drink too much.

Sometimes it's nice to remind myself that just kicking back and letting things happen as they will anyway is a whole lot easier than fighting to control them.......

Breathe in, breathe out.....time to focus on me.

If there is anyone else who wants to join me and Putting Down The Glass for a dry November, please do so.  We are here for you!!!  Let's do it!!

HD



14 comments:

  1. Thank you for a profound post. I so appreciate your thoughts. I need to loosen my grip on things as well. I will say that stopping drinking has helped me feel more in control of my life, in a very positive way. It has been refreshing for me, in body , mind and soul. It's like I am at the wheel again. I never knew I was a passenger, but I have started to feel as though that is the way I've been living for the past years. Happy Day 1 to you with much support always :).<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to tricker treat with beer in the back of the stroller. In a nice neighborhood. With our other neighbors and all of our kids. Wow. The flashbacks continue!
    Good luck on the 30 day November blitz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi HD, wishing you a good time on your next dry phase. You are so wise about letting stuff go ... this John Lennon track popped up on my Spotify recently and I love the lyrics, apt for all of us here I think:

    "I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round
    I just had to let it go."

    https://g.co/kgs/jqJCDL

    Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the 2nd of November here today! I feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders knowing I'm not drinking for November! Thanks for suggesting this HD, and yes no point worrying about things not in our control, good to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the quotes. May I join you on your Dry Nov challenge? I'm on day 3 and under strict instructions to change my tools - I think this could help. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are having a dry November.
    I had my 3rd sober Halloween, and it was great.
    Candy and smiles all around.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your support and for continually checking on me! Too much candy left around though from Halloween!! I'm going to have to eat it before my weight loss goals are realized....

      Delete
  7. Good for you! My 1st sober Halloween in forever showed me that sober really and truly is better, for me.

    ReplyDelete