My Lists

Thursday, March 2, 2017

It's been a long, long road...

Peter Mayer sings two songs that have really resonated with me over the past year.  One is MUSICBOX and the other is FAITH IN ANGELS.  The general chorus to each is like such:

It’s been a long long road but I’m coming back to find you
It’s like tumblin’ down Jericho breakin’ the walls that bind you
I’m comin’ back to find you

and

Have a little faith in angels
You never know where they might be
Have a little faith in angels
And you might begin to see
You could have a little faith in you and me

In my journey with alcohol over this past year, these words resonated with me.  Not as love songs as I think they were intended, but more about coming back to find the girl I used to be, who was carefree, confident and never needed alcohol as a crutch.

A year ago this weekend, I gave up alcohol for a period.  I had had a phone call with a friend and didn't remember much of it the next day.  It was time to get my alcohol drinking under control.  I thought it would be really hard.  It was amazingly easy.  I just switched to sparkling water and alcohol free beer.  But giving up alcohol is in some ways like giving birth.  It's amazing how quickly one forgets the pain! 

After two weeks I was bored with abstaining.  I had just wanted to prove to myself I could do it.  I was initially skeptical I could go for very long but amazed that two weeks had passed.  So I started trying it again.  Before long, by the end of April, I was back to drinking over a bottle a night.  Oh, I would drink less, even a lot less, some nights, but, apart from occasional exceptions, I would drink every night. 

That darn muscle memory.....with drinking it feels like my brain is acting like a muscle and I can just get right back to it...

Wiki says: Muscle memory has been used synonymously with motor learning, which is a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems. Examples of muscle memory are found in many everyday activities that become automatic and improve with practice, such as riding a bicycle, typing on a keyboard, typing in a PIN, playing a musical instrument,[1] martial arts or even dancing.

It's funny how there is no mention of getting back into addictive behaviors.  But to me it's no wonder that if we can get right back on a bike after 20 years, no doubt we can get right back into bad drinking behaviors.

Finally, in April, I tested myself one night.....and failed.  That was my cue to be more drastic.  So I went 125 days.  Then, I went right back into drinking mode.

The difference was that I was super aware of every sip.  I felt guilty but thought "hey, no problem".  Then I would drink more frequently, higher quantities.  I was able to keep myself to a certain point but only because I think I finally admitted that there was a threshold where I KNEW I would have a problem if I continued.

I have experimented over the last 6+ months with hitting that threshold and backing off.  There have been very few occasions where I felt I stepped over the threshold, certainly nothing like in previous years.  But I haven't liked this game I've been playing.  I justify the game as an experiment but really it's just damn hard to think of fully abstaining again.  I totally understand why people say it's get harder and harder to quit again and again.

There is not the same level of excitement in quitting again.  Been there, done that.  I may know what to expect on the positive side but, worse, I KNOW what to expect on the negative side!

It's like hitting the beach and jumping into the ocean full of cold surf.  The first time you run in, deal with the shock of the water, and then, well, you are already wet so might as well enjoy it.  The next time, while you will still enjoy it, it may take you longer to dive in because you know the first jump is going to be a cold one!

Right now abstaining still feels like the place to be.  I liked that I slept well last night, that I was efficient last evening, and that I had a reason to be up at 4am this morning which I was able to do with ease.

For those still considering or fighting the obvious, I think it goes like this.  (For those who have followed this blog you know I will try to quantify everything so forgive me as I do it yet again....)

1) you get to a point where you need to abstain for awhile
2) you do it and it may not even be as hard as you think
3) you either stay quit...or...you start again
4) you realize you are escalating even if not back to your former levels
5) you may have another alcohol related episode of some sort that wakes you up, or you may just subtly realize that you are not feeling good about the experience and really, kinda, sorta want to be somewhere else with alcohol but can't seem to get there.
6) you finally decide to give it up again but it's harder perhaps until you get to the last time.
7) you repeat the cycle for however many times you need to
8) you may be able to get back to some level of drinking that works for you (the majority will admit they just need to quit)
9) the last time you finally quit for good, it feels different.  It's somehow easier to not fight anymore and to just move forward.  (so I hear :-) )

I know I am stuck between 7 and 8.   I freely admit it.  But I'd rather be at #7 for a bit than back at #1!!  

Congrats to all the #9s.  You continue to inspire me with your comments and with your support.  It really sounds like such a lovely place to be!!!  I have watched many go through the above process.  Many who were at #7 while I was at #1.  Many who have made it through to #9 and many of those same who were at #7 for quite awhile first!!  There is hope for all of us!

HD

11 comments:

  1. Hi HD! I really like your list! Unfortunately, for me, numbers 1-7 were what I went through on a daily basis! I had a gazillion day 1's...but no day 2's until I finally quit. It is so hard...but once you get to #9..and with some time in #9 under your belt, it feels good! Hopefully, if that is what you want, you will get there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you, thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey HD, I totally agree but I also think that in some ways it gets easier to quit again. For me each quit became a bit more serious, each relapse proved I couldn't drink in moderation, and the first time I stopped drinking I missed my old drinking life, but now when I drink I miss my old sober life. Stay at 7 for as long as you need to, you will get to 9. I'm not sure where I am, maybe 7? Maybe 9. * doesn't exist for me. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found that I missed what I felt like during the 125 days last year. Quitting again feels good and like the thing to do. Every time I drink again though, knowing there will be times to muscle through when quitting, seems daunting to start. I'm really starting to feel more and more like I want to actually get to 9...as a choice.

      Delete
  4. I so agree with PDTG. Each relapse showed me that I had been able to quit and I found that I coped better with those tough early days because of this xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went almost a year, then relapsed.
    Then it took several more attempts to moderate.
    Finally it came down to the fact that drinking was causing more pain than happiness in my life!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....a year, hmmm? Scary to read but I guess I understand. Your support to so many bloggers is wonderful. Many times I have struggled and there you are...swooping in with realism, advice, and support. I really appreciate you, hope you know that in case I haven't said so!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Habit.
      There is no way I can do this alone.
      You help me as well!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. This echoed where I am so perfectly. I recently wrote that this second quit is boring and about why repeat quits are hard. I guess my point is this: I am not alone in this; NEITHER ARE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you have a blog can you type or email me the link? I can't see it.

      Delete
  7. I don't think #9 is like that, it wasn't for me.
    I thought I needed a break. During that break I began to see clearly just how little alcohol added to my life (actually nothing...it only took).
    I decided that the only thing boring about sobriety was me, so I tried new things.

    Life got easier. I found self compassion and confidence that I was ok.

    And I hope I never drink again.

    I never expected any of this. It's been an awakening.

    ReplyDelete