My Lists

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Exploration, Paused!

There is something about having to get back into a bathing suit that is incredibly motivating.  While we are supposed to have a bit more rain tomorrow, we've already had some days in the 90's and today is a gorgeous, sunny day.  I've been easily hitting my 10,000 steps a day because there is no reason to not get outside and go for a walk.  I'm getting back into exercise.  I'm generally enjoying life....except for those nights when I still drink too much!

My hubby doesn't even think I have many nights with any issue.  Probably, yes, drinking more than the recommended amount but fully functional, remembering everything, etc.  But then I wonder what on earth I am doing to my body!!

A year ago, I realized I had a problem with alcohol.  It's so hard to admit this when you don't classify yourself as an alcoholic.  Many have written about the label and I think we each have our own view of it.  Because I have never "needed" alcohol anytime other than the end of the day, as a means of winding down, I have never been able to call myself an alcoholic.  I've had some incidents, of which I am not proud, but never involving public shame and I've never let any chore slack, not been able to get out of bed, passed out on the couch or anything like that.

But I am definitely addicted.  I've spent the last few months exploring.  I've had days of not drinking and days of drinking.  Days of drinking "normally" and days of drinking "unhealthily."  A few blurry evenings but nothing like in the past.  Very few mornings that I would classify as even slightly hungover.  Much improved from a year ago where I wondered if I was still under the influence when I woke up, made lunch and drove my son to school.  TOO many nights, still, of horrible sleep, though.

Also weight gain.  When I drank I didn't eat. I would eat a little dinner but if I could skip dinner and just drink wine I was great.  When I don't drink I justify this by eating chocolate and sweets.  This yo-yo'ing between drinking and not drinking has been an epic weight management FAIL.  I think I am now 10 lbs heavier than last September.  Sigh.

I didn't drink the last two nights, nor tonight, easily, because I have a routine mammogram tomorrow and I know that I don't want inflamed tissue.  I had a craving last night that was killer.  But it did pass.

Getting 3 days under my belt is always a good starting point for me. Something clicks for awhile after that.  Then, it's the commitment to work through the future cravings that I really need to stick with.....and haven't of late.

Today I woke up and in my headlines up popped "These 37 celebrities never drink alcohol".  Sober Mummy was right .....it is very slowly starting to become trendy to not drink.  I can be part of this trend if I want to...

Last night I did ask hubby to go get wine "if he wanted to."  He laughed as he knew I didn't want it.  So he didn't.  He didn't drink Fri night, and drank half a beer yesterday.  (He poured the rest into the roast he was simmering.)  While he won't commit to not drinking, he definitely drinks less when I'm not drinking.  And I want him to drink less so yet another reason for me to hold off.

Last year I embarked on sobriety for a period really just to prove I could do it.  I used all sorts of reasons, had all sorts of goals.....I met some of them but then ignored some of them when I went back to drinking.  While I'm proud of some of the changes I have made, I still have many more to make.

I've read blogs of those who stop and start and then finally give it up. I have also read those who have stopped and started many times and have been able to get to a point where alcohol can still have some role. I've explored that over the last year and realize I can't meet my other goals with alcohol very prevalent in my life.  I don't know what it's role is but there is nothing wrong with abstaining and gaining some sober momentum!

So here I am, Day 3.  I know I need to muscle through for awhile, that's just how it goes.  Some days will be easier than others but I need to put my end goals back into focus and work through the cravings.

I'll keep you all posted!


13 comments:

  1. hi HD! I have been wondering how you have been! I'm happy for you that you aren't where you said you were a year or so ago with the drinking! You have definitely made great progress! I just read an interesting article y'day on Huff Post about how even reduction of drinking makes a huge difference. I will try and find it and post it for you! I was away in Charleston this weekend and I really really wanted a glass of wine. But, I took pause...as in September I went on an 8 week eating plan and lost 15 lbs. I have since gained a few back, but that's ok. Yet, I want to get back on that eating plan as I slept better and had so much more energy yet I can't seem to do it! I start out each day good and then by night the sugar craving hits. That is the reason that I didn't have a glass of wine this weekend! I knew it would be like the eating plan for me. I would find it hard to get back into sober living! I am sorry about the 10 lbs. I am not sure how old you are, but could it just be peri menopause? So nice to hear from you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it probably is peri menopause....time to get serious about making good food and alcohol choices!

      Delete
  2. Found it!http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ben-afflecks-relapse-and-return-to-rehab-is-common-for-people-with-alcoholism_us_58cffb72e4b0be71dcf663a3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also glad to hear from you.
    Stopping drinking has made my weight much more stable.
    I used to be such a binge eater after I drank.
    I am still impressed with your 10,000 steps a day.
    I'm nowhere near that.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did 3 days great and then last night had too many glasses of wine. But each time I do this it reinforces why I don't like it. I realize, too, that I don't binge it while I'm drinking but I eat like crap the next day from having blood sugars likely all out of whack. Okay, starting over again today! It's those darn first 3 days that are always easy for me. Going to make a concerted effort this time at day 4 and beyond!! Thanks for your support as always!

      Delete
  4. It's good to hear about your journey. We are all different. I've been doing this on and off for over 3 years. In that time I gained lots of weight and ended up the heaviest I've ever been. I too ate too much sugar when I cut out alcohol. I'm slowly losing weight now and have lost about 7/8 pounds in 5 months. I still don't know if I'm doing this forever, but one year is my goal right now. It helps me to know I can always change my mind after one year. But really the further away I get from drinking the less I want to drink it. Don't get me wrong, there are still times I think maybe I should drink, but I don't think I'd actually do it.
    I think I was worse than you, and each time I drank again after a sober period it just felt wrong. It's like after admitting to myself that I had a problem I couldn't properly enjoy drinking again. It's now attached to a feeling of 'I shouldn't be doing this'. I too worried so much about what I was doing to my insides, who really knows but I definitely feel better now. Keep posting, keep doing what your doing and you will figure out the path you want to be on. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's it....just the fact that I feel like "I shouldn't be drinking" when I do is indicative that it might just be easier to stop altogether! I did sleep so great last night!

      Delete
  5. What you said is exactly what made me decide to keep trying the no alcohol route: "I can't meet my other goals with alcohol very prevalent in my life." And even if I tried to regulate the alcohol, it still stayed front and center in my mind. I will not go to a 7:00 am or pm yoga class when even two drinks are involved. I will not set goals and be even minimally sure that I will meet them. Somehow, the thought of drinking takes over almost everything else, even when I am not drinking that much. And my body got to the point of not liking even a couple of drinks.
    I read an interview by someone once who said "I didn't so much as quit drinking as transcend it." That describes what I needed -- for my life to not be about drinking or not drinking. I needed to move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that last quote...I, too, am very tired of thinking about not drinking. It was like thinking about my divorce for years and how great it felt to get to a place where I didn't find myself dwelling on things anymore! I want to get to that place with alcohol...."transcend" seems such an appropriate term!

      Delete
  6. It is a complicated thing.
    I know that in my last few years of drinking I never considered quitting. I was very fit and thin and had a good job and all my friends drank. But I had a deep feeling that alcohol was holding me back. And I started drinking at less helpful times. I went to many Saturday morning spin class deathly hungover...
    When I quit I really decided to take a break and see what a year off of drinking would be like.
    During that year it became very clear that alcohol was only holding me back from enjoying my already good life.
    I never saw that possibility.

    Keep asking yourself what you are looking for.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete